Apple TV’s ability to stream content from a computer or portable tablet directly onto a television makes it a convenient presentation tool for many business owners and professionals. The device, however, is incompatible with AVI files, and accepts only MPEG-4 and H.264 video formats. To convert an AVI file to one of Apple TV’s supported formats, use third-party software such as RealPlayer Converter, Sothink Video Converter or WinX Video Converter.
- Download and install RealPlayer, which includes the RealPlayer Converter application (link in Resources). Open RealPlayer Converter when the installation process is complete.
- Click the “Add” button, select the video you want to convert and click “Open.”
- Click the “Convert to” drop-down menu to open the “Select a Device” dialog box. Select the “TV Connected Devices” option from the “Select a Device” drop-down menu. Click the “Apple TV” option, and then click “OK” to return to the main screen.
- Select your preferred destination folder from the “Save in” drop-down menu.
- Click the “Start” button to convert the file to Apple TV format. When the conversion process completes, click the “OK” button.