Lexmark printers demand quality ink and the devices tend to remind you when they believe it is time for you to refill their ink supply. Some Lexmark printers will continue to issue a Low Ink warning even after replacing or refilling the ink cartridge, but you can reset or disable this warning with just a few clicks of the mouse.
- Access the “Printer Settings” window. Access the Search charm from the Windows Charms bar, type “Devices” in the search area, tap or click “Settings” and then select “Devices.”
- Select properties for your printer. When the Printer Settings window appears, right click on the icon for your Lexmark printer and click on “Properties.”
- Click the “Ports” tab in the Properties window.
- Disable bi-directional communication. Locate the option for “Enable Bi-Directional Communication.” This option should have a check mark by default; clear the check mark to disable bi-directional communication.
- Click “Apply” and then click “OK.” This update will disable bi-directional communication with the printer, effectively turning off low ink warnings.
Use caution when bypassing low ink notifications. Attempting to print with an empty ink cartridge can seriously damage the permanent print head and render the printer non-operational.
This method has not been tested with wireless printer models.