Brother printers that use inkjet technology are, like every other ink jet printer, prone to clogging. Clogging happens when the ink inside the print head dries up, leaving a deposit of ink solids that clog the tiny hole through which the ink gets sprayed onto the paper. To see if you have a clogged nozzle, print a Print Quality Check Sheet; if the nozzle is clogged, clean the print head, then reprint the check sheet to ensure that it is clean.
Printing a Print Quality Check Sheet on Printers Without Touchscreens
1. Press the “Ink” button on your printer’s control panel. If it does not have an “Ink” button, press the “Menu” key, use the up or down arrow to scroll to the “Ink” option, and then press the “OK” button.
2. Use the up or down arrow to scroll to “Test Print,” and then press the “OK” key to select it.
3. Use the up or down arrow to scroll to “Print Quality,” and then select it with the “OK” key.
4. Press the key labeled “Color Start.” Wait for the sheet to print.
5. Look at the sheet for any gaps in the test patterns. If any appear, your print heads need cleaning.
Printing a Print Quality Check Sheet on Printers With Touchscreens
1. Touch the “Ink” button on the touchscreen. If your printer has an ink indicator containing a number of colored bars instead of an Ink button, touch the ink indicator.
2. Touch the “Test Print” option.
3. Touch the “Print Quality” option.
4. Press the hard key labeled “Color Start,” and then wait for the sheet to print.