If you are still paying to send your friends text messages through your cell phone, you can do it for free by sending that same text message from your e-mail account. All you need to know is your friend’s service provider.
Sign in to your email account and compose a new message. Enter your friend’s phone number and cell phone service provider address in the address field of your new email. For example, if your friend’s phone number is 555-123-4567 and his cell phone service provider is Sprint, type in the address field: firstname.lastname@example.org. Compose your text message in the message body field and “Send” your email.
Tips & Warnings
- As of the date of this publication, some other cell phone addresses include:
- T-Mobile: email@example.com
- Virgin Mobile: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cingular: email@example.com
- Verizon: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nextel: email@example.com
- AT&T: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have a Web browser on your cell phone, send text messages from there as well. If you are paying to have the Internet on your cell phone, just send messages through the Web instead of paying for separate text messaging service.
- The sender can send unlimited messages via email for free, HOWEVER, it may not be free for the recipient, so keep this in mind.