When trying to print a document, you might receive an error message that your printer is not set as the default printer. Or, you may find that Windows is attempting to print to another device. To configure Windows to use your printer as the default printing device, follow the steps below.
Latest versions of Windows
- Click Start
- In the search box type printer and then from the results found click Devices and Printers.
- In the Devices and Printers right-click the printer you want to set as the default printer and choose Set as default printer.
If the printer is correctly set as the default printer, it should have a check mark next to the printer as shown in the picture above. Also, once the printer is set as the default printer, it should appear as the selected printer.
Earlier versions of Windows
- Click Start
- Click Setting and then Printers. You can also find Printers in the Windows Control Panel.
- Locate the printer you want to use as the default printer and highlight the icon by clicking it once with the mouse. If your printer is not listed in the Printers window, make sure you’ve installed the printer.
- Once highlighted right-click the icon.
- Make sure there is a check next to “Set as Default”, if no check is seen click Set as Default to enable the check.
How to change the default printer – To change the default printer in Windows, follow the above steps for setting the default printer on the printer you want as the default.
Can you have more than one default printer? – No. Only one printer can be the default printer. However, when you print, you can change the printer to any other installed printer you want to use. A default printer only means that the printer set as default is selected first and is the printer you use the most.